1/2tsp baking soda
3/4lb feta cheese(sirene if you can find it)
1/2package phyllo dough, thawed
(about 21 individual sheets)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Melt some butter.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs together with baking soda and cheese.
- On a clean worksurface, lay out one sheet of phyllo. Brush with melted butter. Add a second sheet of phyllo. Brush with melted butter again. Repeat a third time.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture over phyllo and roll into a tube. The egg mixture will want to soak through. Stay calm. Work quickly and smoothly. All will be well.
- Shape phyllo log into a circle in a large round baking dish. I used oval because it is what I had handy.
- Repeat this process until all the phyllo dough is used up. Wrap each tube around previous tubes, making a snail shell pattern. You’ll end up with 6-7 tubes.
- Brush with butter. Try to ignore the leaks.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, until golden brown.
- Just be sure to let cool at least 15 minutes before slicing, so that the layers don’t fall apart!
Note: Bulgarian yogurt, a little runny and decidedly tangy, is available for purchase at health food stores.