Prep Time 20minutes
Cook Time 25minutes
Passive Time 5hours
IngredientsFor the cake:
4whole eggs, separated
1/2cup all-purpose flour
1tsp almond extract
For the filling:
1cup heavy cream
3/4cup apricot jam(peach may be substituted)
1/4cup powdered sugar
1/4cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3cup slivered almonds
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F . Grease and cover a 9×13 sheet pan with parchment paper. (A sheet pan looks like a cookie sheet with 1/2 inch high sides)
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale yellow. Add flour, salt, butter, and almond extract.
- Add egg whites to a medium bowl, beat until stiff.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the yolk mixture. Sir gently until just combined. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Remove cake from pan and place on a sugared dish towel or saran wrap. Roll up into a tube. Let cool to room temperature.
For the filling:
Bring jam to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, whip cream to soft peaks. Stir 1/3 whipped cream into 5 tbsp jam. Fold in remaining cream until just combined.
Unroll the cake. Spread with 1/2 cup jam and then whipped filling. Reroll. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
Sprinkle with sugar and cocoa. Slice into rounds.
Chocolate, Espresso and Vanilla Pots de Crème. EUROPE, FRANCE
Croatian Holiday Nut Roll | Povatica. CROATIA, EUROPE
Liege Waffles. BELGIUM, EUROPE
Austrian Chocolate Tart with Apricot Jam | Sacher-torte. AUSTRIA, EUROPE
Cream Roll | Brac de Gitano. ANDORRA, EUROPE
Swedish Cheese Custard. EUROPE, SWEDEN
Roasted Pepper Spread | Ajvar. EUROPE, MONTENEGRO
Baltic Cranberry Sauce. EUROPE, LATVIA
Wooden Spoon Applesauce. EUROPE, LIECHTENSTEIN
Scandanavian Mustard and Dill Sauce. EUROPE, FINLAND