TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
TIME(OTHER): PLUS OVERNIGHT MARINATING
· 3 cups water
· 1 cup coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
· 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
· 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
· 10 garlic cloves, crushed
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
· 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
· 5 whole star anise pods
· 5 bay leaves
· Two 3 1/2-pound chickens, cut into 8 pieces each
· Canola oil, for brushing
· Kosher salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. In a large, sturdy resealable plastic bag, combine all of the ingredients except the oil, salt and pepper. Shake to evenly distribute the chicken and adobo marinade; seal the bag, pressing out the air. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Pat the chicken dry and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, light a grill. Brush the chicken with oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest parts registers 165°, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.