· 1 large beet (about 14 ounces)
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
· Kosher salt
· Freshly ground pepper
· 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, finely crushed
· Smoked salt, for sprinkling
· 1/4 cup mayonnaise
· 1 tablespoon ketchup
· 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· 8 slices of rye bread
· Softened unsalted butter, for brushing
· 1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained and warmed
· 6 slices of Swiss cheese
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the beet with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Wrap the beet in foil and roast for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until tender; let cool slightly. Peel the beet and slice crosswise 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the slices to a plate and drizzle with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then sprinkle with the coriander and smoked salt.
2. In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the ketchup, relish and lemon juice. Season the Russian dressing with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat the broiler. Arrange the bread on a large baking sheet and brush with butter. Broil 6 inches from the heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer 4 slices of the bread to a work surface. Flip the remaining 4 slices on the baking sheet and top with the beet slices, sauerkraut and cheese. Broil 6 inches from the heat until the cheese is melted. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve.
The sliced roasted beet and the Russian dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight.