· 8 thick-cut strips of bacon (1/2 pound)
· 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
· Kosher salt
· Freshly ground pepper
· 4 slices of aged cheddar cheese
· Barbecue sauce, for brushing
· 4 sesame seed hamburger buns, split and toasted
· Thinly sliced red onion and tomato and shredded iceberg lettuce, for serving
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. In a large cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain and cut the strips in half. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet.
2. Form the chicken into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the patties to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip the burgers, top with the cheese and crisp bacon and cook until the cheese is melted and the burgers are just cooked through, about 8 minutes.
3. Spread barbecue sauce on the bottom buns and top with the cheeseburgers, sliced onion, tomato and lettuce. Close the burgers and serve right away.
Even though they're made from chicken, these burgers are quite substantial, considering the cheese, bacon and barbecue sauce. Pour a juicy, medium-bodied Garnacha from Spain.
Barbecue Shrimp with Avocado Salad
Chicken Legs Coq au Vin
Coq au Vin
Apple-and-Pear Galette with Walnut Streusel
Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding with Bourbon-Pecan Hard Sauce
Gooey Chocolate-Chip Sandwich Bars
Strawberry Meringue Roulade with Raspberry Sauce
Hot Chocolate Pudding Cakes
Gluten-Free Chocolate-Chile Cakes
Salted Caramel Pie
Swedish Sugared Sweet Pretzels