· 3 tablespoons canola oil
· 1 shallot, finely chopped
· 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
· 1/4 cup dry white wine
· 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
· 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
· 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
· 24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
· Kosher salt
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
· Sliced scallions, for garnish
· 1/4 cup plus 2 talespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
· 2 Hass avocados—pitted, peeled and cut into wedges
· 2 romaine hearts (10 ounces), chopped
· 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
· 3 radishes, thinly sliced
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. MAKE THE SHRIMP In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the wine and thyme and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and broth and cook until reduced to ½ cup, about 15 minutes.
2. MAKE THE SHRIMP In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, turning once, for 2 minutes total. Stir in the sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the butter until incorporated and season with salt. Transfer the shrimp to a platter and garnish with scallions.
3. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE SALAD In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice. Add the avocados, romaine, fennel and radishes, season with salt and toss to coat. Serve the salad with the shrimp.