· 3 large egg yolks
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· 2 garlic cloves, crushed
· 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
· Kosher salt
· Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
· 8 ounces brie cheese, thinly sliced
· 1 cup sauerkraut
· 12 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· Pickles, for serving
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. MAKE THE LEMON AIOLI In a food processor, pulse the egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and garlic to blend. With the machine on, slowly drizzle in the oil until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
2. MAKE THE SANDWICHES Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread one side of each bread slice with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Arrange buttered side up on a baking sheet and toast until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Top 4 of the toasts with the brie, sauerkraut and mortadella.
3. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the aioli with the mustard. Spread the mustard aioli on the remaining 4 toasts and close the sandwiches. Bake until the mortadella is warm and the brie is melted, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with pickles and extra lemon aioli.
The aioli can be refrigerated for 1 week.
Mortadella Reubens with Lemon Aioli