· 1 1/2 cups quinoa
· 3 cups water
· 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided in half
· 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1-inch circles
· 12 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
· 2 cans coconut milk (about 27 ounces)
· 1 cup of water
· 5 tablespoons Thai green curry paste, see note
· 1 tablespoon soy sauce
· Juice from half a lime
· 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
· One 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and julienned
· 3 cloves of garlic, minced
· 1 medium onion, cut in half then into thirds
· 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
· 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch rounds
· 2/3 pound baby bok choy, each cut in half
· 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Add the quinoa and water to a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the pan.
3. Using the same pan, add the remaining oil and the shiitake mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms brown, about 6 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk, water, curry paste, soy sauce, lime juice, optional fish sauce, ginger, garlic and the cooked eggplant. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the onion, pepper and carrots to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the bok choy and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Thai basil.
6. Serve the curry on top of the quinoa.
The type of Thai curry paste you use will make a big difference in this recipe. Many of the best brands are made in Thailand. Feel free to use red or yellow curry paste instead of green.
Braised Chicken all'Arrabbiata
Spice-Braised Chicken Legs with Red Wine and Tomato
Filipino Grilled Chicken
Standing Rib Roast of Beef
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks
Sticky Chicken Drumsticks
BBQ Drumsticks with Slaw
Stickiest-Ever BBQ Ribs with Chive Dip
Grilled Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
Classic Standing Beef Rib Roast
Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Herb-Garlic-Pepper Coating