This vegetarian pasta bolognese is tasty, easy, fast to put together, and healthy all at the same time.
YIELD: 4-5 SERVINGS TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES MAX!
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
4 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
12 oz soy chorizo,
1 tablespoon dried oregano
6 oz tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
14 oz marinara sauce
14 oz can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
Red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook pasta to aldente stage and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 12 inch nonstick pan. Add carrots and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes if using and cook further for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and cook until it is reduced, about 4-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and soy sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir. Let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes or so. If you find the sauce is too thick for you you can add a little bit of water. Add the soy chorizo and combine.
- Incorporate the cooked pasta to the sauce and serve with Parmesan cheese if you like.